Saturday, April 30, 2011

"Parasol"

When I come to terms to terms with this
When I come to terms with this
When I come to terms to terms with this
My world will change for me
I haven't moved since the call came
Since the call came I haven't moved
I stare at the wall knowing on the other side
The storm that waits for me

Then the Seated Woman with a Parasol
May be the only one you can't betray
If I'm the Seated Woman with a Parasol
I will be safe in my frame

I have no need for a sea view
For a sea view I have no need
I have my little pleasures
This wall being one of these

When I come to terms to terms with this
When I come to terms with this
When I come to terms with this whip lash
of silk on wool embroidery

Then the Seated Woman with a Parasol
May be the only one you can't betray
If I'm the Seated Woman with a Parasol
I will be safe in my frame
I will be safe
In my frame
In your house
In your frame


Tori is my inspiration, by far my favorite artist and musician. Why do I love her so much? Because she puts the depths of her emotion and experience into her music and lyrics. It takes a lot of courage to put oneself out there that way. Every song has a deep meaning, portrayed through poetry, metaphor...The beauty in it lies in the fact that we are all sharing a human experience here on this planet together, and we all have a shared humanity of emotion, of feelings, of setbacks, of challenges, of joy, mistakes, sadness. She articulates so much of that in such a profound way.

I am touched and inspired by her songs more than by any other artist. Her song "Parasol" is one that I have been particularly connected to recently. For me personally, it speaks to the way we often get stuck. We get stuck and no longer grow because we have fears. We like to feel safe. Growth takes change and often pain. It seems best sometimes to play it safe, to protect oneself, one's ego. But I only see this as limiting, even though I'm very guilty of it myself. We have one opportunity/chance at this lifetime. It doesn't seem to make sense to stay all safe and secure and miss out on all that life has to offer because of simple fears, that are mostly unjustified and based on our own insecurities. Sometimes, we don't deal with things, because it may just be easier to ignore. Yet I believe such actions rob us from ourselves and from living to our greatest potential. Obviously, it is so much easier said than done, to face our fears, challenge ourselves and accept when certain things need to be let go of so that new ideas and experiences can blossom. I try to convince myself that the storm will only result in a beautiful rainbow, a cleansing, but getting through that darkness is difficult. Sometimes I just need someone to push me over the edge, to hold my hand through the darkness so that it is not so scary. I need that little nudge, to get me out of my comfort zone. Quite frankly, being comfortable is quite boring to me, but I sometimes resist the storm...

2 comments:

  1. Pretty song. I have trouble relating to the lyrics, but otherwise the piano and vocals are appealing. A view of the sea is better than a wall:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few minutes ago every tree was excited, bowing to the roaring storm, waving, swirling, tossing their branches in glorious enthusiasm like worship. But though to the outer ear these trees are now silent, their songs never cease.

    ~ John Muir

    ReplyDelete