Wednesday, April 27, 2011



Nature is my inspiration, it is what keeps me going
at times she can be unforgiving, destructive and one of the most powerful forces in existence
at other times cradling and giver of life
always amazing
always a teacher 
mirroring the importance of balance
of darkness and light
of struggle and achievement
of life and death

I stumbled upon this beautiful bird and aspen grove today on a three-hour hike at Golden Gate State Park, not far from where I live. I've been in awe of the birds I've been seeing lately. My great grandmother, my grandmother and my mother all have a passion and connection to birds. I guess it only comes naturally that I would have a fascination with them as well. I remember watching the beautiful birds in Iowa and in Minnesota as a child. So colorful. There aren't many birds here in Colorado in comparison and I miss them. There are hummers, which will be here any day now. I'm excited for their arrival. There are also magnificent birds of prey. I see eagles almost everyday on my way to work. Not sure if this one pictured above is an eagle or a hawk. Looks like a young bird, so it's hard to tell. Either way, he/she made me happy today and I'm glad it let me snap the photo before flying away...

2 comments:

  1. Nice one! Looks beautiful there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great raptor photo (always a challenging portrait) and beautiful scenery. That is a young red-tailed hawk. You can't see the red from underneath, but juvenile tails have dark brown tops anyway.

    Yep, I agree with you on nature. I don't know what I would do without it. The further people get away from it the closer they get to death.

    ReplyDelete