Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cancer

The topic of cancer has been coming up a lot in my circles recently. It seems someone I know is either fighting it, a family member is, or someone is struggling with the loss of a loved one to cancer. I've noticed that my parents' and grandparents' generations seem to be struggling a lot with the disease right now. My mother and I had a conversation about my grandfather, who died of colon cancer at the age of 55. That is how old my mother is now, and I'm sure the disease would have taken her by now as well, had she not been proactively fighting it and preventing it for the last 15 years. I'm really starting to see a trend and am wondering what is causing so many people to be fighting cancer right now. I'm convinced it has a lot to do with our way of living in this country, our diet, and environmental/pollution factors. We could be doing so much better, and if we were, I think this disease would start to lessen its grip on us.

While this isn't a fun topic to discuss, it is real and it is a disease that is effecting almost all of us. It could even effect us, and it is better to acknowledge that than deny it. Prevention is key and so is going to the doctor on a regular basis and getting tested if there are concerns. That has saved my mom and I'm sure it would have saved my grandfather as well, but he waited too long. Working out, eating right, meditating and reducing stress aren't just about feeling good and looking good. They are about staying healthy and helping our bodies fight the constant amount of threats that enter into them on a daily basis. I would like to be here a lot longer and I want my loved ones to be here too.

Cancer fighting foods:
http://www.jonbarron.org/alternative-cancer/bl080918/natural-health-blog-broccoli
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/features/top-cancer-fighting-foods?
http://www.cancure.org/cancer_fighting_foods.htm



The power of the mind and one's attitude is more powerful than most of us realize:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/women-use-mind-power-to-fight-cancer-721093.html

2 comments:

  1. Good post and good links. Thanks. I like the new look too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are all human, this is our life, we are living a sacred event. cancer is devastating, depending on what type, what stage. i believe it effects us all in some way, we might not have the disease, but we all know someone personally, family that might be a patient, survivors, and those that passed from their battle with the disease. so awareness is indeed noble. one of my grandpa just passed bout a month ago from his battle with colon cancer. yes i truly believe, eating right, taking care of yourself is the key to long healthy life.
    and for the cancer patient, try not to dwell on the negative aspects of this disease. i just hope you are happy to be able to view the world from the place this disease has led you. i'm sure you understand a realm of life you never knew existed until you lived with this illness. i believe that's how my grandpa dealt with it. thanks for the post, hopefully , through these types of links and info-blogs , we can educate people and the patient can gain understanding about their strength and courage in dealing with this disease.

    ReplyDelete